Said Rabbi Yitzchak: The Torah ought to have started with "This month shall be to you..." (Exodus 12:2), which is the first mitzvah commanded to the people of Israel. Why, then, does it begin with, "In the beginning [G-d created the heavens and the earth]"? ... So that if the nations of the world say to Israel, "You are thieves, for having conquered the lands of the seven nations", they would reply to them: "The entire world is G-d's; He created it, and He grants it to...
Rashi's commentary on Genesis...
- Sat, October 25, 2014 - 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Wed, October 29, 2014 - 12:15pm - 1:15pm
- Fri, October 31, 2014 - 7:30pm - 8:00pm
- Sat, November 1, 2014 - 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Wed, November 5, 2014 - 12:15pm - 1:15pm